Political Parties

Political parties that endorse or support candidates and/or groups for the local Council elections must be aware of the responsibilities of those candidates and groups.

All candidates (including a candidate who is a member of a group) and groups of candidates (for a Council area or ward) must be registered with the NSWEC before:

  • accepting political donations, and
  • making payments for electoral expenditure.

All candidates and groups for the local Council elections must appoint an official agent. The party agent of the party is not, by default, the official agent for the party's endorsed candidates and groups (as is the case for State elections).

Find out more about candidate and group registration and appointment of agents.