Residential Roll

All Australian citizens, who are 18 years or older, must be enrolled at their residential address and vote at Local Government elections. All electors enrolled on the State electoral roll at close of rolls will automatically appear on the residential roll prepared for each council area or ward.

A person who is:

  • on the residential roll for one ward, cannot be enrolled on the non-residential roll for another ward, in the same council area
  • on the residential roll for one council area may, subject to meeting enrolment qualifications, be enrolled on the non-residential roll for any number of other councils.

How to enrol for future election events?

You should ensure your enrolment details are always current. To enrol to vote or change your name or address after 28 days at a new residence, complete an electoral enrolment form for federal, state and local government elections. In most circumstances, you can enrol to vote or update your enrolment online or you can obtain a form and prepaid envelope from our office, post offices or an Australian Electoral Commission (AEC) office.

The form may be returned by post, fax, email or hand-delivery to an AEC office.

Once processed, the AEC will send you an acknowledgment advice. This provides details of your:

  • name as it appears on the roll
  • federal electoral division
  • state electoral district
  • local government area

If you do not receive your advice within 4 weeks you should contact the AEC via email or phone 13 23 26.